Digital Photography & Imaging: Final Project - Self Titled

02.07.2024 (Week 11) - 02.08.2024 (Week 14)

Kiew Ting Yi (Nicole) / 0361143 / Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
Digital Photography and Imaging
Final Project Compilation


Idea Development

Write a biography about yourself:

 

INTRO

 My name is Kiew Ting Yi, but you can call me Nicole. I’m currently turning 25, and I have three cats at home.


PARAGRAPH 1

I currently am on an entrepreneurship journey, trying to launch my startup as I’m studying Bachelors in Design (Honours) of Creative Media, from Taylor’s University. My passion lies in art, but more so on ideation art. I’ve always joked about how designers have two types; the geometrical type (think: architects, ui/ux) and the abstract type (think: picasso, impressionists) and I believe I’m leaning towards the abstract more. I like to see overall picture than the details.

PARAGRAPH 2

Hobby wise I like to read up on the latest pop culture trends / Silicon Valley news. It’s interesting how money works in this world (sometimes east vs west) and I always find it fascinating how acquisition happens. My dreams is to be unstoppable, in terms of anything, as long as I have the energy for it! 

SUMMARY

My name is Nicole, my MBTI is ENTJ (also known as the Commander), I like business, entertainment and fashion, and I do a lot of extensive research on these. Pop culture keeps me young and knowledgeable, and I’m someone who believes that having choices is the ultimate wealth anyone could have.


Write a statement about your work:

 

INTRO

 As I’ve been through tumultuous times in my life, I tend to not be as kind to myself. Mahatma Ghandi once said, “An eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind,” and I took that as an inspiration for this work.


PARAGRAPH 1

Throughout my journey in self discovery, I realised I have a weird obsession over eyes. Maybe because my eyes has been said that it’s the first feature that everyone notice when they meet me, or it’s because our eyes are literally one of the reasons why we have things like faith, perception, and beliefs. Some people see to believe, some people see to feel, and some see to learn. For me, I always find eyes fascinating also because I used to see the world in a different state than it is now.

PARAGRAPH 2

I want to create a piece where I express this “hate” and “discontentment” I had for myself previously and I wanted to use the quote that I just wrote. How ironic it would be that if you stab yourself in the eye and revenge on yourself by stabbing another, you lose the very thing you once believed in, by looking through the eyes. I want to express a notion of how hating, self sabotaging leads to never ending happiness, and lose faith, perception and beliefs in general. Then the question becomes, do we really need to be hard on ourselves to grow and love ourselves?

SUMMARY

An eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind, finding my purpose by hating versions of myself will never be the answer. But oh boy does it help! But when you can’t see the world for what it is anymore, does being hard on yourself matter?


Moodboard 3 Poster Reference:

 

POSTER 1

POSTER 2

POSTER 3






























Design Direction

Sketch your mockup poster:

 

SKETCH PROGRESS #1 

SKETCH PROGRESS #2 

  

Digital poster based on your sketch:

I took pictures of myself, but then I realised just having eyes wasn't enough. I tried to add in a handwriting I wrote in my diary when I was really angry instead. It looked quite nice, as the scribbles showed the anger I had for myself.
 

DIGITAL POSTER PROGRESS #1 

DIGITAL POSTER PROGRESS #2 

  

Execution and Post Production

 

FINAL POSTER 

TITLE: AN EYE FOR AN EYE

 

ARTIST STATEMENT: 


This piece serves as a statement of the quote “An eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind,”. The inverted colors of the eyes serves as a metaphorical standpoint of having different beliefs and perceptions, and how killing it can make one go blind - losing themselves in the process.



Final Video

 

FINAL VIDEO LINK: 

https://youtube.com/shorts/5cDJqAl3wTM?feature=share

TITLE: AN EYE FOR AN EYE




This piece serves as a statement of the quote “An eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind,”. The inverted colors of the eyes serves as a metaphorical standpoint of having different beliefs and perceptions, and how killing it can make one go blind - losing themselves in the process.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography Task 1: Exercises

Typography Task 2: Typographic Exploration & Communication

Typography Task 3: Type Design & Communication